Customer COMPLAINTS AND Feedback

Whitsunday Regional Council aims to provide professional, efficient and friendly customer service; if you have a problem, issue or concern about our services, decisions or actions, we would like to hear about it. 

Council welcomes feedback as we are working hard to deliver positive outcomes to the residents and visitors of the Whitsunday Region and valuable feedback helps us improve our services to the community and your experiences when contacting Council. We rely on our customers to let us know where we can improve or where we have provided a positive outcome. 

If I have a compliment or question, what do I do?

Council values customer compliments from its residents and visitors; if you have had a positive experience with Council, please let us know.

Compliments can submitted via the following: 

If you want to report a problem or have a general enquiry, please go to our Online Services section.

If I have a complaint, what do I do?

Council values customer complaints to ensure any issues are rectified to enhance a customer’s experience with Council and to improve our services.

Complaints and feedback can be submitted via the following:

Your personal information will be used by authorised Council officers to assist in the management of complaint resolution. The information will not be given to any other person or agency unless required by law or unless permission is sought from the person declared within this request. All Personal information will be handled in accordance with the Information Privacy Act 2009.  

What if I do not want to provide any personal information?

Council accepts anonymous complaint submissions through our Online Form, however, it should be acknowledged that we are not able to respond to anonymous complainants or advise them of the outcome of their complaint. All information provided to Council in relation to a complaint is used only for the purpose of resolving your concerns or questions and is handled in accordance with the Information Privacy Act 2009. 

What happens next?

When submitting general complaints or seeking feedback, you should try to include as much detail as possible and advise whether this is a new or previously reported issue.

Once your complaint or feedback has been received, the matter will be directed to the appropriate department. Council will do its best to resolve your complaint within 14 days. However, depending on the nature and complexity of your complaint, we could take up to one month to resolve your complaint.

If your complaint or feedback relates to a specific service provided by Council or works being undertaken by Council, you should be aware that by lodging a complaint, the matter will not be automatically suspended or delayed.  

What if I am not happy with the outcome?

If you are unhappy with a Council decision or action, and have tried to resolve the matter with the appropriate department without satisfaction, you may request a review be conducted through an Administrative Action Complaint Review.

Administrative Action Complaints are complaints which relate to an administrative action of Council, including the following: 

  • A decision, or failure to make a decision, or a failure to provide a written statement of reasons for a decision;
  • An act, or failure to do an act;
  • The formulation of a proposal or intention; and
  • The making of a recommendation. 

In accordance with Section 268 of the Local Government Act 2009, Council has a formal administrative action review process in place called the “Administrative Action Complaints Management Process”. This provides customers with the opportunity to request an administrative action review of decisions made by Council officers or Council in relation to the length of time, quality or how an officer has treated a customer when there are no other appeal provisions available.

Council places a high value on feedback from its customers and this feedback is used to shape and refine the future delivery of products and services.

A crucial part of the feedback process is the Administrative Action Complaints Management Policy. A key objective of this policy is to promote public confidence in Council by ensuring openness and transparency in handling applications for administrative review of decisions made about its services and products.

Please refer to the Guide to Administrative Action Review Process below.

Guide to Administrative Action Review Process (PDF 29KB)
Administrative Action Complaints Management Policy (PDF 94KB)
Administrative Action Complaints Management Process (PDF 112KB)
Administrative Action Complaints form (PDF 92KB)


What if I am not satisfied with the review’s outcome?

If you are unhappy with the outcome of the Administrative Action Complaint Review, you may escalate your complaint to the appropriate external agency or tribunal such as the Queensland Ombudsman.

What if I have a complaint about the conduct of a Councillor?

Councillors are required to adhere to the Councillors Code of Conduct.

If you are unhappy with the conduct of a Whitsunday Regional Council Councillor, please submit your complaint in writing to the Chief Executive Officer.

Complaints about the conduct or performance of Councillors are assessed by the Chief Executive Officer (CEO). The CEO may appoint a mediator and/ or investigator to perform a preliminary assessment of your complaint to determine whether it is: 

a) Frivolous and/or vexatious, in which case no further action may be taken and you will be advised of the outcome of your complaint; or 

b) Inappropriate conduct, misconduct, official misconduct or another matter (general complaint against local government). 

If, after assessing your complaint, the CEO determines that your complaint is:

Inappropriate Conduct:
The matter will be referred to the Mayor to consider the appropriate action, which could result in a written reprimand. If it is a repeat of inappropriate conduct, the matter will be referred to the Department of Local Governments, CEO as misconduct.

The matter will be referred to the Director General of the Department of Infrastructure and Planning to review if the complaint should be referred to a Regional Conduct Review Panel or Tribunal for investigation.

Official Misconduct:
The matter will be referred to the Crime and Corruption Commission (CCC) for review and, if required, investigation. Find out further information on the Crime and Corruption Commission’s website or phone 1800 061 611.

Another matter: The complaint will be dealt with in the appropriate manner. 

  1. P  1300 WRC QLD (1300 972 753)

    67 Herbert Street, Bowen
    Shop 23 Whitsunday Plaza, Cannonvale
    Cnr. Stanley and Conway Streets, Collinsville
    83 - 85 Main Street, Proserpine
  1. LINKS

    My Dashboard   |   Privacy   |   Disclaimer   |   Accessibility   |   Site Map   |   Right to Information

    Powered by CivicPlus from Redman Solutions

    © Copyright Whitsunday Council 2014